Friday, April 26, 2013

5 for Friday ---Never Ending Day!!!

1. As A mom of two, my day never ends at 4:15.
Tuesdays my daughter has dance and acrobatics.
Wednesdays and Saturday my son has soccer.
Thursdays and Saturdays my daughter also does cheerleading.
Not to mention laundries, food shopping, and planning for the week (and making stuff for my class).
Sometimes I am amazed at how much I fit into one day.
Yesterday was especially busy. My daughter's class was having a special FCAT's over party today, so of course, she wanted me to make my "famous cookies" (her words, not mine). Well, as soon as we got home I was:
 emptying lunch boxes, walking the dog, getting a laundry in, marinating chicken and taking butter and eggs out to get to room temperature!  I'm not sure but I may have looked a little like the tasmanian devil!!

While the chicken was cooking, I made the cookie dough batter (from scratch!!) and put it in the fridge to cook when we got home from cheer. Eat dinner, go to cheer....
Fast Forward 2 hours..... Cookies in the oven, get kids showered and ready for bed. Oh, and I almost  forgot the laundry, that's got to go away too!
This is my typical week at home--forget about school.  That's actually a bit more calm.
Here's a few things we did this week--which by the way my students said was "Super Fun"  Can't get better than that!
2. Classroom Chronicles has begun!! We are making our own classroom Newspaper, conducting interviews, writing articles, creating funny pages, weather forecasts and sports pages. We will be putting it all together next week, but I love seeing them work together and learn about one another while writing!! Head on over to TPT I'm having a 15% off sale all from 4/26-4/29 in honor of my daughter's 9th birthday on Monday!!!



3. Number Scroll is on a roll!!! We start by filling in a blank chart (10 x10) from 1 to 100. When they finish and it's all correct, they tape on a 2nd chart and count to 200.  This is great for your students who finish early, need a challenge, or even need practice with counting and place value!  My class loves it!  and it's little to no work for me. As they finish I check to make sure they are writing the numbers correctly. When they make it to benchmark numbers such as 100, 500, 1,000, 2,000 etc... I give them prizes!!!  My son who is a first grade has counted up to 4,650 since this pic was taken!!!


This student is up to 3,600!!

4. Book Binding:  My artist of a sister, taught me how to make and bind books. It's super easy all you need is paper, craft paper or construction paper, cardboard, scissors and glue.
1. Fold sheets in half
2. Glue back to back
3. Cut cardboard into 3 pieces 2 of equal size to the page and 1 skinny rectangle for the spine.
4. Glue cardboard to craft paper or construction paper. Fold the edges over.
5. Glue the paper you folded in half and glued together to the cardboard, And Voila!
Your book is bound.  Now all you have to do is write and illustrate!!
5. Three Little Pigs:  Next week we will be comparing and contrasting diffferent versions of the 3 little pigs. Check out some of these new titles:
Can't wait until next week!
Have a great weekend everyone! And a big thanks to Doodle Bugs Teaching for a fun Linky!
fiveforfriday


4 comments:

  1. What a fun idea your newspaper is! Love it! Happy Friday!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Found you on the linky! I am switching to your 100's chart idea! Much easier to read! I have the students do this on cash register tape and it gets hard to read! LOVE your idea! Thanks for sharing! I am going to check out your newspaper idea!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally hear you on the never ending day! I love your 100s chart counting idea for your early finishers. I'm going to have to give it a try!
    ~Danielle
    My First Love

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense