Thursday, September 20, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

Is it Friday yet?  Wow, I can't believe how fast this week flew by.
It started on Sunday, when I finally finished my October Edition of What is the Mystery Word?


I finally kind of figured out how to make a collage for a preview--I was up 'til after mid-night!  It takes forever... 
School this week has actually flown by super fast... I guess that's what happens when you are having fun.
Today, one of my fabulous colleagues gave me her class set of Hand lenses (otherwise known as, magnifying glass).  
Thanks Jean!!
I have been trying to integrate my science in with writing, to give us more time to cover both subjects. The kids wrote in their journals: I used my hand lens to see...
After I explained what we were going to do, one of my boys says 
"It's like when people go on safari, and keep a journal of what they see"
How awesome is that connection?!
They then got to explore the room and draw and write captions and labels for what they saw.
My class was so engaged and excited.  Next we went outside to a grassy area with trees and bushes in between buildings. I gave them 3 things to look at and draw: 1. grass 2. leaves 3. a flower
Everything else was bonus. They found ants, love bugs and even a cocoon.
  We finally ended up on the playground.  They examined the ground, which is made of recycled rubber, the fence and the material the slides are made of. 
We had so much fun!  Here are a few snapshots of their journals.



 Last, but certainly no least is my new anchor chart:
-Flip the Sound-
 I use flip the sound when talking about Accuracy in Reading on my CAFE board.  When reading, if the word doesn't sound right, try to "Flip the Sound" (change from the short to long or vice versa). In the CAFE book, the two sisters use a hand gesture to help teach this.  take your hand and lay it out flat.  When you say "Flip the Sound"  turn your hand over.  Easy.


Have a great weekend everyone,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense