Thursday, June 27, 2013

"Throwback Thursday" with Miss Poly Gon

 





I'm linking up with Cara again at The First Grade Parade.
Miss Poly Gon has been my most Pinned item on Pinterest--so I thought this post would be dedicated to her. See Miss Poly Gon here on Pinterest.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

I'm posting this as part of the Monday Math Blog Hop from love2learn2day. I know it's Tuesday however, yesterday, I taught my lesson for my formal observation.  As an added bonus, my Assistant Principal asked If I minded if she also video tape the lesson!  ahhhh--was what I was thinking, but of course I said yes.  Considering yesterday was a full moon, my class did amazing.  I couldn't take pictures while they were working, but I have some after shots of their work!  They asked great questions, gave great answers and were really thinking critically. Which was awesome. If you want to try this lesson, I have it up for free on TpT here: Geometry Introduction Lesson
Here we meet Miss Poly Gon! (I actually made 2, so the one I used with my class you can see below)


Here is Shape Zoo USA.  Each table group received a bag of shapes to sort as a team. They came up to the board and justified their reasoning: stating # of sides and #of vertices.

Ok I know It's upside down!! but, if you look carefully, you can see that they labeled each shape, wrote the # of sides and vertices, traced the shape and identified the vertices with dots. That was actually a student generated idea. I did not explicitly teach them to do this. One of my little smarties was drawing the dots. I thought it was such a great idea, so I showed the class on the document camera.  They all started doing it in their Shape Field Journals as well.


Today we labeled Miss Poly as a class and finished up our shape Walk.  The class really had fun, and best of all so did I. I forgot I was being observed and video taped and really got into the lesson.

6 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I saw your "Miss Poly Gon" on someone's Pinterest board, and could not believe the creativity of some teachers! I am so glad your formal observation (from long ago) went so well, with this adorable & educational creation. Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us!
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this idea!! Every year, I think shapes are going to be so easy to teach, and it always ends up being a struggle for some. I think this will be a perfect addition to my shape unit. Thanks so much ! :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica,

    Love your Miss Poly Gon polygon idea. I'm on my way to checking it out on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing it.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha!

    I've done something similar when teaching geometry, but I love the idea of PolyGon!! Hmm, not sure why I haven't seen that on Pinterest before. I'll have to look harder! =) Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

    Jenn
    Fired Up for First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found this on Pinterest yesterday. What a clever and fun way to teach shapes, indeed! I think Little Miss Poly Gon is the new IT girl in Geometry class.
    Thanks for your creativity!

    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense