Saturday, May 23, 2015

16 years, 173 days...

I've been officially teaching 16 years 173 days. I have 7 more days to round that number out to 17 years of teaching. This year has been busy, not that the others weren't, but it is evident by my lack of blog posts, that life just sometimes catches up to you. 

This year has forever changed me. This year was a tough one emotionally. For the first time I (along with many other teachers I work with) lost a student to cancer. He was 8 years old. Julian had been in my class as a first grader. He was in 3rd grade undergoing treatment at MD Anderson in Houston. In February, he came home to be with his family and spend his last few weeks with them. I can talk about it now, sort of. I remember his voice, and picture him just as he was when he was in my class. He was the bravest person I've ever met, coming to school every day, wanting to be there, wanting to be well. Until his Dr.s said he couldn't anymore. That was 4 months ago.February was a very hard month.

It's been almost exactly 6 months since I found my way to blogger to type up one of these little posts. Most of the last 6 months has looked like this, in a nutshell.

Wake, shower, cook breakfast (for me and the kiddos), go to school, teach, come home, homework, cook dinner, drive to dance class (for my daughter), soccer (for my son), laundry, Watch HGTV (Fixer Upper anyone), go to sleep. Start over!

Throw in an occasional field trip, faculty meeting, team leader meeting, or night out at Chili's and that's been what's been happening.

Needless to say, I'm still here, still doing what I love, with the family, a family that supports me. I will be back later this week with some fun news, so hopefully if you are reading this, you'll stop by again soon.

1 comment:

  1. I remember your posts about Julian. It's just amazing how brave and strong kids can be! He was lucky to have people in his life who loved him so much.
    --Chrissy
    Firstgradefoundme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense