Saturday, July 18, 2015

Incorporate Playfulness and have fun with learning:UBS Ch.12


Chapter 12: Incorporate Playfulness and have fun with learning.
I teach first grade where playfulness comes a little bit easier than most other grade levels. Even so, I still am a pretty serious person, I get caught up sometimes in "getting it done" that I forget I need to relax and enjoy what I do as well.

I am fortunate to have a really fun teammate who loves to make up songs, and pop in my room with her whole class to sing to me and mine. She reminds me that even though we have a tough job to do we can have fun while doing it.


In this chapter, Angela talks about different ways we can be "playful" and you can choose from their. I am going to discuss some of the things I try to incorporate as well as a few I plan on trying this year.
Appeal to your students emotions. We remember things that we have some feeling about. Whether it makes us laugh, cry or angry. Those are the things our students will remember too.

Why playfulness? "Happiness is a powerful emotion and we tend to remember moments of joy very well"
Try integrating Music into your classroom. I use I {Heart} radio. I usually choose the piano instrumental for a calming effect. But on some occasions I've been known to play a little Kids bop as well.
How about songs?  I sing a song when my kids are coming to the rug:
Make a circle, Make a circle 1, 2, 3
All my friends are here with me.
I usually sing this 3 times. By the 3rd time all of my students are sitting and ready to learn.
I'm sure you can look on pinterest or you tube and find a zillion songs that work for you.
How about a dance break or a brain break? I personally love Go Noodle. It's free and fun and my students are always begging to do more. They have 1, 2, and 3 minute videos that get kids up and moving. It is great for transitions and you can control which video/song you pick!
Talk or read in various accents and voices 
ah-hem, cough, cough. I already do this. Yup, I have a pretty good Irish cadence since my brother-in-law is from Ireland and I speak a little yiddish and do a great Yenta voice. I usually pull my voices out when I'm reading a picture book on a topic. But you can try it out at different times as well. 
I have not however, transformed myself into a different character. If you are the dramatic type or a really into a certain topic this may be the avenue for you. I'm trying to think how I can add this into my repertoire because I think the kids would absolutely love it!
Create a Learning Environment where Humor is celebrated 
Of course there has to be a balance, but if you are having fun teaching you know your students will be having fun learning!
How do you think you can incorporate playfulness into your classroom?

Just stopped in? want to see more of what Unshakeable is about? Here is what we've covered so far.
Click the links below to go to previous chapter reviews.
Chapter 1 share your authentic self to bring passion and energy to your teaching
Chapter 2 Allocate your time and energy wisely through productive routines
Chapter 3 Establish healthy habits for bringing work home and decompressing
Chapter 4 Determine how to do what matters most an let go of the rest
Chapter 5 Go the extra mile for families (but don't take forever to get there)
Chapter 6 Learn to say "no" without guilt and make your "yes" really count
Chapter 7 Do your part to create a positive school culture
Chapter 8 Take charge of your own professional development
Chapter 9 Let your vision define your value and measure of success
Chapter 10 Uncover the compelling reason for every lesson you teach
Chapter 11 Create curriculum "bright spots" you cant wait to teach



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your awesome post! So true!!
    I haven't read the book yet, but it is definitely in my To Read list. Thank you for the tips! I signed up for Go Noddle! I love it!!!
    Marta
    Tweets From Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense