Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Good Cause

    I am going to stray from my usual teacher talk to something that means quite a lot to my family and me. I just recently found out a friend of my son's from kindergarten was diagnosed with Leukemia.  He and his family found out on Memorial Day weekend.  Julian was not at the Kindergarten graduation ceremony, and I couldn't understand why. At the time his parents did  not want to announce this news. 
    More recently, they are now setting up fundraisers and ways for people to donate to him. I have not stopped praying for him or his family since I found out.  I only have a few followers, however I know many of you can reach even more than I can.  Please Pray for 6 year old Julian and his family and his battle against Leukemia. He is heading to Miami tomorrow for a spinal tap. He and his family will need all of our prayers.
Link to Julian's Fundraiser  
Continue reading to find out more about the type of Leukemia Julian has:
Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) is a type of cancer in which the bone marrow makes too many immature lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell).

Childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (also called acute lymphocytic leukemia or ALL) is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow. This type of cancer usually gets worse quickly if it is not treated. It is the most common type of cancer in child
ren.

Normally, the bone marrow makes blood stem cells (immature cells) that develop into mature blood cells over time. A blood stem cell may become a myeloid stem cell or a lymphoid stem cell.


The myeloid stem cell develops into one of three types of mature blood cells:


•Red blood cells that carry oxygen and other materials to all tissues of the body.

•Platelets that help prevent bleeding by causing blood clots to form.
•Granulocytes (white blood cells) that fight infection and disease.
The lymphoid stem cell develops into a lymphoblast cell and then into one of three types of lymphocytes (white blood cells):

•B lymphocytes that make antibodies to help fight infection.

•T lymphocytes that help B lymphocytes make the antibodies that help fight infection.
•Natural killer cells that attack cancer cells and viruses.


 I have also found a great foundation and added their badge to my blog. They have lesson plans for teachers as well as a free book to share with students if you are interested.  In addition, you can start fundraisers at your school with their help. If you are interested in the same see the link below.
http://www.alexslemonade.org/newsroom/webbadge
Thanks,
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. I just added a link on my facebook page to your blog. I am praying and asking my followers to as well. Thank you for the link to Julian's fund raiser.
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you is just not enough. I know Julian and his family truly appreciate it.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense