So I decided to give my sewing skills some practice. I bought 3 yards of inexpensive fabric from, you guessed it--Wal-Mart. I also got a package of 4 foam inserts (16x16x1). The 3 yards perfectly fit the four cushions! Yeah! So I cut, and ironed and sewed, and sewed and sewed some more. I have one of those mini-hand-held sewing thing-a-ma-jigs. Well, either mine is defective or they all work rather poorly. For some reason the battery compartment doesn't connect correctly. So I had to squeeze it with all my hand-strength (which is not that much) in order for it to go. Then, my hands would give out and I had to stop. Needless to say I started pricing sewing machines, as my fingers were getting tired. In the long run, a needle and thread is just as effective. I am pretty proud of myself though. They came out super cute and I only spent about $10.00 for the whole project. Plus I sewed them so I can take them off like pillow cases and wash them every now and again.
|First Iron it, then fold in half and leave a little extra at the top for the flap. The pretty side of the fabric is not showing so afterwards you will have a nice seam on the outside of your pillow.|
|After you sew each side, turn it inside out and Iron the hems of the flap to make it easier to keep it straight.|
|I cut fabric off from the top flap to add ties. I cut it into four thin strips and sewed them to the flap and mid-pillow.|
|See how it flaps over and ties on each side. You can untie it and remove the insert to wash it.|
|Here's a close-up.|
Hope you can use these ideas. Let me know if you get a chance to try it out.