Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Good Fit Books Lesson

I actually taught this Lesson on Monday, while Tropical Storm Isaac was flying up the West Coast of Florida.  I live on the East Coast and we were getting hit with the outer bands of the storm. Needless to say, I wish I had packed (or owned) some galoshes!




If you have read The Daily 5, you know about this lesson. If you haven't, it's a great model for kids on choosing books that are "just-right" or a "good-fit" for them.
So here is how the lesson went:
I filled my new "Expand-a-Tote Day Extender"  from 31 with a bunch of different shoes. (just a side-note, this bag is awesome!!!)
 I started out by talking about the shoes I was wearing.  It was storming out.  I said to my class "Do you think Mrs. Berggren wore the right shoes to school today?" Of course they all responded with a resounding "NO!" and giggles.
 As I pulled out each different pair of shoes, I talked about why I like them and their purpose.
 My sandals are great for work, because it's still hot outside and they have a strap.  Plus they "fit" me.
 I asked the class what they think I can do in my "kicks".  Responses ranged all in the sports area, soccer, running, basketball.  I asked if they thought I could swim in them?  Again, lots of giggles and a big "NO!"
 I told the class these were my fancy shoes!  I asked them where they think I can wear them. When I asked " Do you think I can play soccer in these?" again, the response was a big "NO!"
 I pulled out my most worn and comfy pair of flip-flops.  I wore these puppies all summer to the beach and pool. Of course, you can see how "loved' these are.

Lastly, I pulled out my husband's size 13 dress shoes.  (I kind of felt like Mary Poppins with the magic carpet bag)  More giggles, because his shoes look pretty large to a 6 year old. I asked the class if they thought these belonged to me.  Thankfully, they all figured out that these were not mine.

After I showed them the shoes I picked up each one and compared it to a book. My everyday sandals, were the books I can read everyday, on my level.  The sneakers, were like books that are interesting to me, with information I want to learn. (non-fiction books)  My high heels, were books with "fancy" words in them.  Books, I want to challenge myself with, but still "fit" me. My worn down beach flip-flops, was my favorite book, that I love to read over and over again.  Lastly, My husband's shoes was a book, that was NOT "just-right" for me.  My husband might like them, but I wouldn't be able to walk in them.  I asked a student if he thought he could wear them.  And of course it was an easy answer.  I'm pretty sure, now that they have seen all of these shoes, when I ask them, if their book Fits, they will know what I mean. I can always bring back the visual of each shoe, to help them out when choosing their books to read.

Happy reading,


1 comment:

  1. This was my planned lesson for Tuesday, and I was overwhelmed today, and didn't get to it. I'll have to remember for tomorrow.


    I love the shoes :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense