Friday, October 26, 2012

Flashback Friday-Round and Round


I'm linking up with Teaching Maddeness for Flashback Friday.
This week was a short week for us, so I did a "mini" unit on Laura Numeroff's Circle Story books.


I picked up Erica Bohrer's Unit on TpT and it really helped me out.
(I posted about it earlier this week) The song  above is "round and round" and it makes for good background music to these circle stories.
We started with some Buddy Reading and a Buddy Reading Log. I paired the kids up so 1 student could help the other read the picture book.







Then we did some Fantasy/Reality sorting with If You Give a Moose a Muffin and Compared and Contrasted If You Give a Cat a Cupcake and If You Give a Moose a Muffin with Venn Diagrams.
To End the week, we wrote a Class Circle Story (sorry no picture) it is still in the editing Phase.
I went around the rug and had each student add a line to the story.
Next, they worked in teams to do the same. I used Erica's "file folder word walls" that went with the unit. It really helped them fill in the blanks.









I wrote some sentence frames on the board so they could have a model, it went a little like this:
If you give a ______________________ a _______________________,
then he will probably want a _________________________________.
When he's done he will want so more, so you will have to get him some.
You will have go to the _____________________ to get it.
When you get there he will see some ________________________ and you will have to get him some.......
and chances are if you give him some _______________ he will want _____________to go with it.
 
We also finished our monster writing from my  Fall into Writing unit.
We read: Are you a Monster? by Debra Hess
Are You a Monster?

Then designed  our own monsters and wrote about them.



Here is what my son did in his First grade class, with his fabulous and fun teacher. (Hi Dawn!)





We also started our Monster Problems Math Pack, to go along with Common Core Problem solving standards.

Next week guess what we will be writing about? Hope you found some good ideas.  Let me know how you might use these ideas in your classroom.
Have a great weekend everyone--Oh yeah, in honor of Hurricane Sandy I'm having a 20% off sale at both my stores.
TPT  TN
Stay dry,

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up and sharing, Jessica! I love circle books and that song is perfect for the background! ;)

    Amanda
    Teacher's Clubhouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Laura Numeroff stories!! I am now your newest follower :)
    -Lovely Nina

    Lovely Little Learners

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense