Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fall Craftivities connected to Literacy

So, I don't know about you, but fall is one of my favorite times of year.  When I was a third and fourth grade teacher I would always read Charlotte's Web with my class.  Even though my firsties can't read Charlotte's Web, I know they would love the story.  One great "easy" book response I used to do was a spider web with words you would write, just like Charlotte.  I used to have the kids use crayons or chalk. However, I found these great White gel pens from Pentel to do it instead.  It comes out great.
Check it out.



Also this week, we are breaking out the OWLS!!!  I love owls, of course, but this week we in our Fall into Writing Book, we are writing about owls.  We read a great Science Facts book from scholastic called Incredible Owls.  Today we brainstormed and completed the circle map and tree map for sentence planning. 



I put all of the scrap paper into bags with all the parts of the owls. My peer mentor traced the belly and wings on to the pretty paper. I am going to let the kids pick the kind of paper they want.

This is what else is in the bag. An Owl shape, eyes, beak and feet.

Here are two versions of this owl. The one on the left is what I have hanging on my classroom door.  The kids are going to make the ones on the right.

Here are the templates to make the Owls. Click the links below for each one.
Owls Craft get the Full Template here
Get Beaks and Feet here
Get Eyes here

If you are looking for something to use in Writing for Thanksgiving--I have completed a great Common Core aligned unit. It has tons of Graphic Organizers, writing pages and posters to use for making Thanksgiving Comparisons.



Enjoy,

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Thank you so much for being so generous and giving teachers like myself free stuff! You rock! May you be blessed..! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense