Sunday, November 8, 2015

Boats, Shapes, 50's day and Thanksgiving oh my!

Many moons ago, I went to grad school and received my Masters Degree in Math, Science and Technology in Elementary education. Yes, that is what we now know as STEM. I've had my thesis in a file to be published on TPT for about 4 years. I can't seem to part with it. I don't know if I will ever have the guts to put it up there, fear of rejection maybe?, although my professors loved it. It was months and months of research and work... It was 13 years ago, maybe one day I will be ready to share all that hard work. 
In the meantime, I have a much smaller scale unit that I just did with my class for Sink and Float. I'm just testing the waters (pun intended) with this one.

This unit will take you anywhere from 6-8 days depending on the time you have for science. I currently have it listed for 40% off. Head on over and grab it now! We had so much fun with this little Will it Sink or Float? Elementary STEM Unit... I hope you like it!

 Also this past month we got to do one of my favorite math activities of the year.... Geo Panes from my Common Core Geometry Unit

 
First we build and record. I use gum drops I find at my local grocery store. They hold up great in the soapy water.


Students choose which shape they want to dip into the water.

As you can see, it creates these great panes of flat bubbles for the faces of the shape.

I've recently updated this unit, I added a template for creating my dear friend Miss Poly Gon for you and a smaller version for your class. You can also just get the template for her if you don't want the whole unit--How to Make Miss Poly Gon

 This is the first year we decided to celebrate the 50th day of school. We had a lot of fun with this day. My teammates found so many free ideas on pinterest and Teachers Pay Teachers. (That's me over on the left--trying to be Too cool for school, lol)

Here's my Too cool For school partner.

This year for Red Ribbon week we had a decorate your door contest. My sister created these adorable graphics and i just love them. I decided to use my Candy Corn in Disguise. "I mustache you to be healthy"

Here is something easy and FREE. After reading several Pete the Cat books, I decided to do a directed drawing with my students. Using the document camera I walked the class through the drawing step by step. They then wrote to describe him.



As we  head on into November, we will begin learning about the Pilgrims and Native Americans. I think it's important for my firsties to understand how life long ago, children long ago, etc... are different than things are today. I created this unit to help my students compare and contrast differences and similarities between themselves and Native American and Pilgrim Children. There are a variety of Venn Diagrams and Double-Bubble Maps to choose from, depending on your preference.



Thanksgiving Comparisons unit

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!!!!Thanks for telling your tale....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AdSense